Men & Boys Riding Apparel
Being the mother of 2 boys who ride and show, let me save you time by offering some helpful hints:
1. Kids/Youth show jackets are unisex up to size 20; They are not marketed as boys’ & girls’ jackets. Be sure to look for youth jackets lined in darker, conservative colors for boys. Boys will need to move into men’s sized jackets after Youth size 20, which means the shoulders become wider. This “tweener” period is a tough time to fit. I have found RJ Classics size 32 (as small as they come) jackets work well, often in a Short length. For the thinner body type, Grand Prix coats are more streamlined. A size 36 in a Grand Prix will fit like an RJ Classic 32, just thinner in the waist.
2. Jods are also unisex as long as boys wear the styles that zipper in the front (boys do NOT wear side zips!) Boys also do not wear the euro seat low rise jods that have become popular with the girls. Stick to the traditional, thicker, more substantial fabrics. You can’t go wrong with Tailored Sportsman. Some of the 4-way stretch jods made out of thinner material or inexpensive cotton jods are often not flattering on boys.
3. Boys’ & Men’s breeches are front zip and must have flap pockets on the rear. We’ve looked at all of them…and I still prefer the Tailored Sportsman, in particular the Professional 4-way stretch. Pikeur breeches are handsome, but pricey. Tuffrider also makes a nice, affordable pair of men’s breeches in a heavier, more substantial cotton fabric.
4. Men & Boys can wear traditional button down shirts (special show shirts are not required, although they are now made in light weight breathable fabric) with a conservative tie, with white being the preferred. Shirts with buttondown collars help keep the tie in place.
5. Men’s field boots typically do not come with the option of a “slim calf” required by most boys/young men unless you buy custom boots. However, you can purchase ladies boots 1 full size up. (Be aware that Ladies boots do have a tendency to be a bit more narrow in the foot than men’s boots).
6. Men & Boys NEVER wear a shadbelly in Hunter divisions. A dark jacket and a dark,conservative tie are considered proper attire in Hunter Classics, evening or more formal competitions. White breeches are popular in the Hunter Derbies.
Men’s Show Coats
*BOYS Show Coats ~ Look on the “Kids” page as children’s show coats are unisex up to size 20. For “tweener” boys not quite ready for a man’s coat, size 18 or 20 in a youth/childrens coat is a good fit.
**Please note that Grand Prix coats will run 1-2 sizes smaller than RJ Classics.
Men’s RJ Classic Show Coat Sz 34 Short Navy Plaid NEW! $119
#SL-261 This is a very handsome coat, done in a subtle navy plaid. This coat is new with the retail tags still attached. Measurements are: sleeves from shoulder seam to cuff- 24″ ; chest, from armpit seam to armpit seam 19″; length down the back from top of collar to hemline-30″. Retail $169.
RJ Classics Men’s Show Coat Sz 34 Reg Navy NEW! $90
#SL-169 This men’s show coat still has the retail tags hanging on it! It’s done in a solid navy. Measurements are: sleeves from shoulder seam to cuff- 25″ ; chest, from armpit seam to armpit seam 19″; length down the back from top of collar to hemline-31 1/2″. Retail is $165.
RJ Classics Men’s Size 34 Reg Bark Suiting Wool Plaid with Austin Reed Tie $65
#SL-286. This handsome men’s coat comes with a complimentary Austin Reed tie. It’s done in an attractive bark brown plaid with threads of rust. Measurements are: sleeves from shoulder seam to cuff- 25″ ; chfrom armpit seam to armpit seam 19 3/4″; length down the back from top of collar to hemline-31″. Retail is $165.
Grand Prix Men’s size 34 Show Coat Navy Herringbone Tone on Tone Pinstripe $80
#SL-284 This classic coat is done in a deep navy with a herringbone tone on tone pinstripe. It’s lined in burgundy. Measurements are: sleeves from shoulder seam to cuff- 27″ ; chest from armpit seam to armpit seam 18 3/4″; length down the back from top of collar to hemline-30″. Retail is $300.
Grand Prix Men’s size 36 Reg Navy Windowpane $99
#SL-285 This handsome coat is done in deep navy with a very subtle windowpane plaid. It’s done in a lighter weight suiting wool that hangs nicely. It’s lined in navy. Measurements are: sleeves from shoulder seam to cuff- 26″ ; chest from armpit seam to armpit seam 19″; length down the back from top of collar to hemline-30 1/2″. Retail is $300.
On Course Cotton Jods Sz 10 Front Zip $25
#SM-115 These jods by On Course are made with a heavy weight cotton and a front zipper. You sure can’t beat the price!
Tailored Sportsman Royal Hunter Front Zip Jods Size 12 $65
#AT-01 These are the classic 2 way stretch with real goatskin patches…quality jods (this is my favorite color, especially for boys). They are a front zip, regular waist. This pair is in great shape. Retail is $209
Ovation Boys 4-way stretch Breeches Sz 12 $40
MJ-08 These 4-way stretch breeches are in great shape..just a couple of loose threads on one of the knee patches and a button missing on one of the rear flap pockets (just cosmetic)..an easy fix.
Ovation Boys 4-way Stretch Breeches Sz 12 $35
#MJ-09 These 4-way stretch breeches by Ovation are in great shape. There are a couple of loose threads on one of the knee patches and what looks to be a hand stitched repair on the seam under the front fly…easy fix to restitch with a machine to make it look pristine….no big deal at this price!!!
Ariat Men’s Pro Circuit 4-Way Stretch Breeches Sz 28 Long $65
#SL-264 These breeches are in super condition….and they launder beautifully. They are a great fit with a traditional fly front, rear flap pockets in a 4-way stretch moisture wicking Coolmax for superior comfort, done in a traditional khaki. There are a few tiny marks at boot level….nothing noticeable. These breeches have the elastic comfort calf, rather than the velcro. Retail is $230.
Ariat Men’s Pro Circuit 4 Way Stretch Breeches Size 28 Long NEW with Tags! $99
#SL-259 These breeches are a great fit with a traditional fly front, rear flap pockets. They still have the original retail tags hanging on them. The fabric is a moisture wicking 4-way stretch Coolmax for superior comfort, done in a traditional khaki. They have the comfort band around the calf rather than the Velcro. Retail is $230.
Men’s Tailored Sportsman Royal Hunter Breeches Sz 30 Reg !NEW! $98
#SL-189 Here’s a great buy on a brand new pair of men’s Tailored Sportsman breeches, the original tags are still on them! The Royal Hunter breeches are the traditional 2-way stretch with goatskin patches. Retail is $229.
Men’s Tailored Sportsman The Professional 4-way stretch Breeches Tan Sz 30 Long $129
#SL-191 These Tailored Sportsman Professional breeches are in pristine condition. The weight of these breeches and the finish are top notch for the show ring. Grab these now at this price! Retail is $279
Boys neckties are hard to find. Take your pick of one of these handsome ties. $10 each
Men’s Vogel Field Boots Size 10-10 1/2 Slim Calf $149
#SL-288 These classic pull on Vogel field boots are in lovely condition. The sole is in good condition and they have bee re-heeled. They have a moderate Spanish tops, a capped toe and spur rests. Measurement up the back from the heel bed to the top of the boot is 18″. The widest point of the calf measures 15 1/4″ around the outside of the boot. Vogel boots are made from lovely leather that polishes to a bright shine. Retail is $1000+
Men’s Dress Boots (Made in the USA) Sz 10 $70
#GW-08 These leather boots have little to no sign of wear other than they have softened and dropped at the ankle….great news for you because you won’t have to go through the often painful “breaking them in” process. These are done in the classic pull-on style. I can’t find a brand name for these boots…but they are stamped as being made in the USA. They have a nice, soft leather upper cuff done in the inside. The widest point of the calf measures 16″ and the height up the back of the boot from the footbed is 18 1/2″. They have a nice Spanish cut on the side which is 2″ higher.